With a contribution from the Foundation of Greater Montreal
ITYC is open for “business as usual” Monday thru Friday
- Locally-run centre whose goal is to provide a safe and secure environment for the Aboriginal youth of Montreal, aged 10-29 years, in an effort to promote personal, cultural, educational and economic growth.
- Services & Facilities: referral, listening services and peer counseling, mentoring and leadership initiatives, employment postings and career development, computers, TV, pool table, books, movies and music.
- See website for monthly calendar of activities: ityc.nfcm.org/
- Activities: cultural and sporting events; multimedia and literacy workshops; cooking; community involvement, native arts and crafts; and Saturday out-of-centre activities.
Monday thru Thursday: 10AM-5PM
Kaie:ri Nikawera:ke Day Centre
- Drop-in centre which aims to assist and improve the quality of life of homeless or at-risk Aboriginals.
- Services: breakfast and hot lunch; clothing depot; laundry facilities; showers; telephone, TV & computers access (with internet); referrals; accompaniment; transportation; food baskets; cultural activities and peer support; medical clinic, legal workshop, and access to traditional healer.
Ka’wáhse Street Patrol
- A mobile referral, harm reduction and transport unit, which patrols throughout downtown to serve homeless and at-risk youth & adults.
- Services: distribution of meals, blankets and other materials; clean needle exchange; peer counseling; referrals to health and social services; check-ups on at-risk individuals and transportation to shelters.
- Evening meal and activity at 6 p.m. on the last Wednesday of each month.
- Care and referral, testing, vaccinations, diagnosis, medical check-up, first-aid.
- A nurse is on-site Thursdays from 1 – 4 p.m.
- A doctor is on-site once a month. Call for info.
NFCM: Affiliated Organisations
- Médecins du Monde (Kaie:ri Nikawera:ke)
In-house medical clinic: Thursday 1PM-4PM;
- McGill Faculty of Law;
- McGill First Peoples’ House;
- McGill University Faculty of Arts;
- Université de Montréal;
- McGill Faculty of Medicine (Community Health Alliance Program) CHAP and CIHR Research Partnership;
- McGill Faculty of Dentistry (Community Based Program) CBP;
- McGill First Peoples House;
- Cummins Centre for Jewish Seniors;
- Native Parajudicial Services of Quebec (offices in NFCM).